Converting Aluminum to Aluminum Potassium Sulfate
Not for Credit
- Always add acid to water- never add water to acid.
Sulfuric acid (H2SO4) reacts very exothermically
with water. This reaction produces a substantial amount of heat.
- Potassium hydroxide reacts with aluminum to produce hydrogen
gas which is very flammable.
- Ethanol is very flammable. Keep it away from the hot
plates and burners!
- Potassium hydroxide and sulfuric acid are dangerous when directly
inhaled. They are also very caustic: they will burn you if they
come in contact with your skin. If this happens rinse thoroughly
with water, and have someone get a TA.
- As always, be aware of your surroundings and others in the lab,
and please ask a TA if you have any questions!